The concept is simple. Fresh ingredients, a few minutes prep, pop the pan in the oven, and dinner is ready.
Dinner’s in the Oven has recipes for 75 satisfying one-dish meals ranging from chicken wings to crispy baked gnocchi. Dessert also gets the roasted touch with such comforting treats as Strawberry Almond Cake. These quick and clever recipes are for anyone who wants to eat nutritious food made from scratch that fits into their busy lives. (And for anyone who doesn’t like doing the dishes!)
Crispy Baked Gnocchi with Tomatoes, Basil, Mozzarella and Pine Nuts
This baked, unashamedly carb-loaded version of an insalata caprese is one of the quickest and easiest dinners in this book. Crispy gnocchi is a revelation—like the best roast potatoes you’ve ever had, but faster.
Serves: 2 as a main (4 as a side/starter)
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
1 pounds [455g] potato gnocchi
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound [340g] vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into eighths
5 ounces [140g] fresh mozzarella, cut into bite-size chunks
Leaves of 1 large bunch of fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup [40g] pine nuts
1) Preheat your oven to 425°F [220°C].
2) Place the gnocchi in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to cook for 2 minutes, then drain well.
3) Add the cooked gnocchi to a roasting pan or large baking dish along with the olive oil and mix well to evenly coat. Tuck in the tomatoes, mozzarella, and half of the basil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
4) Scatter the pine nuts over the gnocchi and bake for a further 5 minutes.
5) Tear the rest of the basil leaves, scatter them over the gnocchi, and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chronicle Books.