Eating a plant-based diet—one that embraces veggies and ditches the meat, eggs, and dairy—is one of the easiest ways to improve your health. Whether you’re ready to go entirely vegan or just want to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, Steph and Adam will show you how to plan and prep ahead, so your meals are ready to go when you’re ready to eat. Flexible meal plans include all your favourite foods and flavours, from mac and cheese to mashed potatoes, all made with plant-based, whole-food ingredients.
• Over 60 plant-based recipes for breakfasts, mains, snacks, and desserts
• Get-started guide walks you through the basics of plant-based eating and meal prep
• Soy-free, grain-free, and paleo-friendly tags make it easy to find recipes that fit your diet
• Flexible build-a-meal strategies let you choose your favourite flavours
• Easy-to-follow meal plans take the guesswork out of what to make
• Nutritional information for every recipe to help manage macros and achieve diet goals
Spaghetti Lentil Bolognese
This hearty, Italian-inspired dish is one of Steph’s faves. The lentil-based sauce has all the flavour and texture of a traditional meat sauce without being too heavy. For maximum flavour, top with fresh basil and a sprinkle of our Cashew Parmesan Cheese.
Nutrition per serving
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
12oz (340g) brown rice spaghetti
1 tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion, about 9oz (250g)
3 carrots, about 9oz (250g) total
6 celery stalks, about 5oz (150g) total
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 cups (700ml) water, plus more as needed
3 (14.5oz; 420g) cans cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
4 cups (950ml) marinara sauce
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
Cashew Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Fresh basil leaves (optional), to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the spaghetti and cook according to the package directions. While the water boils and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the vegetables. Mince the garlic and finely dice the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and rinse in cold water. Divide the spaghetti evenly among 6 meal prep containers.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 2 minutes until slightly browned. Add the carrots and celery. Stir together and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 cups of water and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally until the pan is nearly dry and the celery and carrots are very soft, about 8 minutes. If necessary, add more water, 1⁄2 cup at a time, until the celery and carrots become soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and then add the lentils, marinara sauce, oregano, and cumin. Stir together and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Divide the lentil mixture evenly among the 6 meal prep containers, spooning it on top of the spaghetti. Before eating, top with Cashew Parmesan Cheese and fresh basil, if desired.
Storage: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 5 days.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dorling Kindersley Limited.