Learn to feast like Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel and entertain in retro style with this collection of craveable classic recipes inspired by one of the greatest TV shows of all time. Recipes include:
- Cuban dishes such as Ricky Ricardo’s Arroz con Pollo and Tropicana nightclub favourites
- Chocolate treats and other sweet delicacies inspired by Kramer’s Kandy Kitchen
- Mid-century Hollywood’s finest fare, from episodes set in the sunny film capital
- Classic dishes from season three’s “The Diner”
- “Pioneer Women” Fresh-Baked Bread (easy on the yeast!)
- Classic cocktails to toast life’s big events — plus a recipe for Vitameatavegamin, so you can spoon your way to health!
The I Love Lucy Cookbook brings to scrumptious life food featured on the show, as well as tantalizing dishes inspired by classic episodes such as “Lucy’s Italian Movie,” “Job Switching,” and “Paris at Last.” Filled with photos and illustrations, the book is also an exuberant celebration of an era and unforgettable television moments.
Cuban Mojo Chicken
Inspired by Episode 8: “Men Are Messy” (Season 1)
In this classic episode, it’s men vs. women in the battle of housekeeping, and the Ricardos’ apartment gets divided in two. When Fred visits Ricky on “his side,” Ricky offers him some leftover chicken, but the catch is—the kitchen is on Lucy’s side of the apartment!
Inspired by Ricky’s willingness to feed his pal, this classic Cuban chicken dish is marinated and roasted, and just as delicious no matter which side of the apartment it’s served on.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
FOR THE MARINADE
1⁄3 cup olive oil
1⁄3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make the marinade, in a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a sealable bag and pour in the marinade. Keep in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and discard the marinade.
- Bake for 1 hour or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165°F.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve. Follow this dish with Aloha Cream Pie and you’ll have a scrumptious meal for visiting guests!
Excerpted from THE “I LOVE LUCY” COOKBOOK: Classic Recipes Inspired by the Iconic TV Show by Jenn Fujikawa. Copyright © 2021. Available from Running Press, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, Inc.