Authors and leading plant-based nutrition experts Julieanna Hever and Ray Cronise have spent over a decade researching diet and nutrition, analyzing longevity studies, and helping their clients achieve sustainable, lasting health benefits by adopting a whole-food, plant-based diet.
In The Healthspan Solution, they share a simple and effective diet that has allowed their clients to lose weight, reverse disease, reduce or eliminate medication use, and achieve optimal health. This accessible and easy-to-follow guide examines the health risks posed by typical Western eating habits and explains how a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices can lead to lower blood pressure, healthy weight management, and longer life.
Their flexible, customizable approach to eating challenges the conventional idea of breakfast, lunch, and dinner and focuses instead on soups, salads, sides, and sweets. With 100 delicious recipes to choose from, The Healthspan Solution makes adopting a plant-based lifestyle simple and sustainable.
• Evidence-based research on the scientific underpinnings of the healthspan diet
• Easy-to-follow guidelines simplify food choices without being restrictive
• Beautifully photographed recipes offer options and flexibility
Mexican Rice Burrito Bowl
Amigos, gear up for a fun fiesta in a bowl! With a collection of crunch and colour, creamy refried beans, chewy Mexican Rice, sweet roasted corn, and hearty hints of heat, you can celebrate the flavours of Mexican cuisine with this plato delicioso.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 (15oz) can fat-free refried beans
1 tsp chipotle hot sauce, such as Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 batch Mexican Rice
2 cups chopped red cabbage
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup julienned jicama
1 cup chopped avocado
1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
1⁄4 cup minced cilantro, to garnish
Green chili habanero sauce, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the corn and toast for about 5 minutes until the kernels start to pop and are browned, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the refried beans and hot sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until warm.
- To build each bowl, begin with a bed of lettuce and top with 1 cup Mexican Rice and 1⁄3 cup refried beans. Add equal amounts of roasted corn, red cabbage, tomatoes, jicama, avocado, and onions to each bowl. Garnish to taste with cilantro, habanero sauce, and lime.
NOTE: The refried beans can be heated in the microwave, if desired.
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1⁄4 cup tomato paste
1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
1 cup finely diced yellow onion
1 medium jalapeño, de-seeded and diced
1⁄2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
3⁄4 tsp ground cumin
3⁄4 tsp chili powder
Fresh cilantro, chopped, to serve
Freshly squeezed lime juice, to serve
- 1 In a quart-sized measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth and tomato paste.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the rice and toast for 2 to 3 minutes until the grains start to pop, stirring constantly. Add the onions and jalapeño and continue to stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Add the vegetable broth and tomato paste mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Before serving, add the cilantro and lime juice to taste and enjoy immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from DK Publishing.